We are still busy undertaking repair work despite the lockdown. Fortunately the workshop is at our home so we are able to comply with the isolation rules while still working, well until materials run out.
The latest job that we have almost finished is an early 20th Century bureau which had been badly damaged during a break in. The lock had been forced on the writing slope and there were numerous scratches to the inside. The damage fortunately was covered by the client's insurers, however whilst we are completing this repair work, we were asked to replace the drawer pulls as one was missing and trying to find a match for that was like looking for a needle in a haystack.
We managed to repair the lock, which involved staightening the back plate and soldering in a replacement key guide pin. Also hand cutting a replacement key. The writing slope was cleaned back, scratches dealt with, before restaining and polishing. The writing pad insert was difficult to clean being "Rexine" an artificial fbric based leather, so the green ink blot could not be completely removed. The owner's father had made some small shelf supports between the dividers at the back of the work area and so we cut some small lengths of wood to act as shelving.
Down the side of the bureau was a split in the wood, this was repaired and with careful application of spirit stain, the wood grain was replicated.